Hagley Hall to begin Restoration after 27 Year Absence from the Line
30th September 2013
Great Western 4-6-0 locomotive 4930 ‘Hagley Hall’ will depart from the Engine House at Highley – its home for the last five years – to Bridgnorth, ahead of its restoration, during an event to mark the occasion on Sunday, 6th October.
The engine, which is owned by Severn Valley Railway (Holdings) plc., was built at Swindon Works by the Great Western Railway in 1929.
It was acquired from the scrapyard for use on the SVR in 1972, and after restoration worked passenger trains on
The celebratory event has also been organised to thank the SVR shareholders, the Severn Valley Railway Charitable Trust supporters and the Friends of Hagley Hall group; the restoration of Hagley Hall being a flagship project of the Railway’s 2012 Share Offer – which closes on 30th September 2013 - the SVRCT and the Friends Group.
Nick Ralls, the SVR’s General Manager, said: “This is a very important milestone for the Railway, along with our shareholders and the Friends of Loco 4930 Hagley Hall Group. The locomotive is well-suited to the line and has many supporters; it will be fantastic to see it start on its journey to return to service after more than a quarter of a century’.
“This new restoration programme has been funded by the Share Offer and funds raised by Friends of Hagley Hall Group and the newly formed Severn Valley Railway Charitable Trust.”
Prior to Hagley Hall’s shunt from the Engine House, 50 guests will take their seats for speeches from Nick Ralls and Chairman of the SVR, Nick Paul, before a presentation from the Hagley Hall Group.
For more information on upcoming events at the SVR, visit svr.co.uk or call 01299 403816.